Thursday 23 July 2015

Art Review: " The map of my memory" by Apirata Kuantana

23 July 2015

"The map of my memory" by Apirata Kuantana


Apirata Kuantana is the student from Foundation course at UCA which progress to BA Illustration. This exhibition is the final project before she will finish this course in this month. She chose to do the project about her hometown memory which is the province in North-East Thailand called 'Nan'. Moreover, she aim to attract an audience to fascinate in Northern Thai culture and influence to visit there. 




"The map of my memory" Apirata Kuantana (2015)

In this work, she used Polaroid frame to express her illustration of childhood in Nan because she thought Polaroid is a photo that subtle and blurry like her childhood memories in hometown. In the vivid pictures, she painted about places that she has been there and used to such as Buddhist temple, restaurant, and market. Furthermore, there is the picture puzzle that look like a man and a woman, which she said that is the tradition panting from a temple's wall. Besides, she used the another way to express her memories by drawing her family and friends in black and white colours. The difference things between vivid colour pictures and black and white pictures except colours are details and techniques because she painted only places in colour pictures and more details, but in black and white pictures, she drew a portrait without particulars. I think she wants to make an audience focuses on the places according to her aim that she want to show the beautiful places in her hometown and she also want to express her memories which include her friends and family. Furthermore, in the white frames, we can see the piece of paper which look like burn paper inside the frame. If we look at the each frame, we couldn't predict what is the meaning or appearance but if we step backward and see the holistic, we could see that is look like a map. She said that holistic of the white frames is the shape of Nan's map. 


Sketch book of "The map of my memory" Apirata Kuantana (2015)


I think her work is successful because when I saw her work I want to go to Nan, even I'm also Thai people, I never go there. I can see the culture and precious memories in her work that made me miss my hometown so much which is capital city named Bangkok. Even Nan and Bangkok are in the same country but we have quite different atmosphere that she can express the attractive angle of Nan about culture and living. Finally, if I have a chance to go back to my country, I'll visit Nan by following her memories pictures!!     





2 comments:

  1. through your explain, i totally understand the student's idea . and it is creative and colour brightness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her artwork as well, and also I'd like to go to there once like you thought. I knew that her hometown has a lot of places and which looks colourful. When I saw her sketch book, I thought her process is quite detail and beautiful on her hometown.

    ReplyDelete